Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Girlfriend in a Coma - Douglas Coupland

I was stuck in a reading rut- bored with my usual fare and the bookclub pace had slowed. At the library I was browsing through the shelves (a rare occasion for me) when I remembered that Devin had mentioned Douglas Coupland at our last book club. I promptly took out two of his books and put another two on hold.

I devoured this novel at record pace, probably due to severe literary dehydration. The concept was interesting. Best friend dies becomes ghost-thing (?). Girlfriend experiences premonition, has sex, goes into coma, is pregnant, premonitions come true. Baby is born, time passes, everyones lives are dull and meaningless. Girlfriend awakes and drama ensues. I wasn't wild about the ending, I found it kind of anticlimactic. I wasn't attached enough to the characters to feel their losses, but I wasn't bored either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home