Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Stars' Tennis Balls - Stephen Fry

I picked up this book on Devin's recommendation, having read The Count of Monte Cristo. I was pleasantly surprised by the modern twist on the classic story. I found that having read "The Count" added to my enjoyment, rather than detracting from it. I could enjoy the comparisons between the two and the creative ways that Fry incorporated the Monte Cristo characters while staying true to modern locations and character motives.

I noticed that Fry changed several of the secondary characters from male to female, but I'm not sure whether this added to the story or not as all the secondary characters were less developed. I also found that the ending felt rushed (although 'The Count' is 1200 pages of fine print, so he had a lot more space to draw things out). The end result was much less uplifting and left less room for introspection on the consequences of his actions than the original had.

While I think I still prefer the original tale, this interpretation led me to better understand portions of the original. I will definitely be picking up more Stephen Fry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home