Monday, March 24, 2008

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet (USS Book Club)

What I liked:
- the storylines
- most of the characters (some of the baddies were especially well done, particularly William)
- the shifting viewpoints
- the Aliena and Jack love story

What I didn't:
- the endless descriptions of how precisely to build a cathedral (down to measurements. No one cares! Move on!)
- the ending (Phillip was happy about whipping the King? WTF?)
- the fact that I still have no idea why it was called Pillars of the Earth

1 Comments:

At 11:48 a.m., Blogger Liam J. said...

I remember reading this one years and years ago. It was a book that my dad got for free. He used to deliver sears merchandise to a store that was also a convenience store and the guy would leave out comics, magazines and books for my dad. These books had the covers torn off of them because presumably the owner of the store would send the covers back and get a refund (on the presumption that he had destroyed the books)

One of the dangers of these books is that sometimes the first couple or the last couple of pages would fall out and I would be left wondering at the end. I never did read the end of this book even though I enjoyed it immensely (including the descriptions of how to build a cathedral). I really don't remember a whole lot about it now, having read it in the neighbourhood of sixteen years ago but I remember two things: It was really good and it was really long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home