Friday, July 07, 2006

Dune - Frank Herbert

As I mentioned, I was in a reading rut. I don't think this meant that I had to move away from Fantasy/Sci Fi though. I think I needed to get back to roots.

I first picked up Dune when I was in Junior High, maybe 12 years old. I absolutely could not understand why people thought these books were so fabulous. Reading it now, I can understand why I thought that, I just wasn't ready for these books.

I already have the second book out from the library and ready to read. Was there a movie of this? Am I crazy? (The voices in my head say: "No.") Parts of this reminded me of Tremors (one of my old boyfriend's favorite movies, seriously) but I think Tremors stole from Dune and then dumbed it down.

I was fascinated by the focus on ecology, the difference between the characters' voices, and the entire story line. I was a tiny bit put off by the volume of 'invented' words, which is a common complaint in that genre. Every sentence made me crave a tall, cool glass of water.

Frank Herbert is clearly a master of Sci Fi and the art in writing.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 a.m., Blogger Xeryfyn said...

There is definitely a movie and from what my Sci-fi friends tell me, it is really good too.

 
At 11:18 a.m., Blogger Liam J. said...

If you could separate the movie from the fact that it was a book to begin with, or if you could preface it with "Loosely based on" I would agree with you. It was a good movie before i read the book. There's also a miniseries that is more true to the book but it has William Hurt in it. Then again, he dies, so that's all right.

But the movie has Sting. And Dean Stockwell. And a bunch of people who were probably in Twin Peaks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home