Friday, July 21, 2006

Emma - Jane Austen (Electric Bookaloo)

As a long time loather of Jane Austen, I was not exactly looking forward to reading more. Pride & Prejudice was one of the most painful reads for my I.B. English class (along with almost anything by Margaret Laurence) during the summer before grade 11. The word 'obsequiousness' still makes me cringe.

To be honest, Emma wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The actual plot of the book was somewhat entertaining and I enjoyed a few of the characters. Some of the other characters drove me crazy (Miss Bates talks a lot. I get it. Now shut the hell up.) For me, the most frequent reason to dislike books is that I don't like, and therefore don't care about, the main character. Come on, admit it: Emma is a spoiled, self-centred, interfering little brat.

I tried very hard to keep the historical perspective in mind but in most areas that didn't really help. Where it did help is that every time I thought to myself, "This book is so freaking predictable!", I reminded myself that it was likely that Ms. Austen did it first and the reason it was predictable is that all of the authors that use similar twists and storylines have probably copied it from her.

The biggest problem I had with the book, was that class distinction was such an issue. I know that was how it was back then but it makes by eyes boil in their sockets and lava spew from my mouth in complete fury and disgust.

I guess Jane Austen is just not for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home