Sunday, March 05, 2006

Eragon - Christopher Paolini (Regular Strength Book Club)

Written by a fifteen year old, and you can tell. The best thing I can say about this book is that I can see how kids would love it. The only other good thing is that it does get better as the book progresses. I wanted to take a red pen to the entire book and fix it.

It's a mish mash of characters and plot stolen from Anne McCaffrey, Robert Jordan, and Tolkien (among others) and then watered down. It has the required dwarves, elves, dragons, kings and shades. The words "bad fantasy" were created for this book. If I didn't have to read it for my book club I would not have finished it. I thought the main character was a bit of an idiot.

In summary: Boy finds dragon egg, dragon egg hatches and (instead of biting his idiot fingers off) befriends him. They have an adventure. The End.

1 Comments:

At 11:52 a.m., Blogger Liam J. said...

Hello, character.
Hello, main character.
What can you tell me about a?
A.
What can you tell me about b?
B.

Repeat ad nauseum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home